The Pronunciation 500 teaches you the pronunciation of 500 basic English words. At the same time, it lets you improve your understanding of phonetic transcription .
The collection was developed by the webmasters at Antimoon.com — a website for people who want to learn English effectively.
Each item contains the spelling of a word (in the question field) and its phonetic transcription (in the answer field). The transcription is written in the ASCII Phonetic Alphabet .
If you learn the entire Pronunciation 500 collection and use it regularly, you will:
- Speak English with more confidence. You won't have to worry about how to say words like century and government. You will simply know how to pronounce them correctly.
- Know the answers to many questions about English pronunciation, for example: How is the word new pronounced in American and British English? Is the "oo" in the words foot and food pronounced in the same way? Does law rhyme with low?
- Learn the ASCII Phonetic Alphabet — a useful tool for typing phonetic transcription on your computer. The ASCII Phonetic Alphabet is very similar to the International Phonetic Alphabet. You will also become fluent in understanding phonetic transcription, which lets you use English dictionaries more effectively.
The Pronunciation 500 is compatible with Antimoon's method for learning English pronunciation :
- First you learn the sounds of English and their symbols in the phonetic alphabet.
- Then you learn the correct pronunciation (phonetic transcription) of the basic English words. Here the Pronunciation 500 can be very useful.
The Pronunciation 500 includes both American and British pronunciation for all words.
The collection has been removed from SuperMemo Library offer. If you would like to memorize the newest version of the collection, we recommend to visit Antimoon's website: PerfectPronunciation.